Monday, December 9, 2013

Little Hands Make a Big Difference

This My Christmas List contest entry, from kindergartener Austin Richardson, shows us that we're never too little to make a big difference.


Austin and his little sister
sending shoe boxes
Dear Mrs. Parker,

I am in Kindergarten at The Covenant School. I really enjoyed hearing you read the book during our school's Book Fair. With my mom's help typing, I wanted to enter the contest for the Christmas List. 

Our family helps others in need ALL year long. We help with our church's Room in the Inn program during the cold months. I liked bringing food to feed the men.
  
This past weekend, our family (with some other friends) helped bring food to families staying at the Ronald McDonald House near Vandy.

On Orphan Sunday and during the month of December, I help my mom and dad at church to sell the Ornaments4Orphans. I like to think about what the money goes to help the kids in Africa.

In November, we sent 2 different shoe boxes through Operation Christmas Child. We can't wait to find out where our boxes went!! Mom attached a picture of us with the boxes to this email.

At Halloween, we sold our candy to a local dentist who sent the candy to soldiers in the Middle East.

I love to give the newspaper sellers (The Contributor) money and tell them to save the newspaper to make more money!!

We always give our toys and clothes that we don't use to the GoodWill.

The lady that cuts our hair, Ms. Heather, her apartment burned down, and she lost everything. We gave her a lot of items that we didn't need any more. Her smile was huge when she saw all the things!!!

Most of all, we like to help send items to my sister's former orphanage in China. We adopted her last year, and we love to help the other kids that are still there. In fact, when my mommy heard you read your book, she started crying when you read the page about the girl in China!! Then, we went to buy your book immediately (and we bought one for our friends who are waiting to bring home a boy from India).

Thank you so much for writing the book!!!  I love the pictures in the book too!!

Sincerely,

Austin Richardson

Wow, Austin. You and your family are setting a huge example for other kids and families everywhere. Thank YOU for already knowing what a Christmas list should be.

No comments: