Saturday, August 20, 2016

HOW TO HELP Louisiana Flood Victims

(via Facebook post by Gabriel Saint)
I have watched helplessly as the photos rolled through my Facebook feed of the Louisiana flood. My "Aunt" Janice (really my mom's first cousin), Uncle Bill, and cousins are all right in the middle of it. 

All of their houses, thankfully, were spared, but I know this is only because God needs them to get to work. My Aunt Janice manages missions (trips to Honduras every year with BMDMI),Uncle Bill is a pastor, Ashley is a fierce organizer, Ashley's husband cooks vats of delicious jambalaya, and Travis is a member of the "Cajun Navy." Together, this family is a powerful force to be deployed in the face of disaster--and now, even more so, as they drive down the streets to their full homes and see the entire lifelong belongings of their neighbors and friends, generations of families (it's a close-knit, generational community), lining the sides of the roads. Houses are being gutted. Some will be refilled with the help of insurance. Many will not. Regardless, all, right now, are suffering, and most have nothing.

Cutting to the chase, this is how Aunt Janice says you can best help:
  • Sporicidin/Shockwave: This is what she said they need most right now. This kills the mold and fungus now growing in the homes. Ashley said in the background, "They're trying to gut, but need Shockwave to stop the mold." Please let that sink in.
  • Plastic tubs: To store what belongings they have left 
  • Trash bags: For cleanup, storage, etc.
  • Pine-Sol/washing detergent: EVERYTHING that is salvageable and washable is getting washed. Aunt Janice says it has to be washed in Pine-Sol first . . . in the few available washing machines.
  • Hygiene products: Stores have been wiped out. They need soap, shampoo, toilet paper, feminine products, you name it. (Thank God for the toilet paper in your dry house right now.)
  • Money: I truly believe that the most efficient way to help, especially when you're not sure how, is to put money in the hands of the people who do. I'm sending directly to Aunt Janice (you can too). But you'll get a tax-deductible receipt if you donate to:
    • Colyell Baptist Church, 19524 LA HWY 42, Livingston, LA 70754 and note that it is to be designated for the flood victims.
  • Of course, prayer: Pray that God comforts those suffering, gives supernatural strength and stamina to those helping, and supplies the needs of His people as He always has. But remember, too, that He often calls us as His hands and feet to do the same. 
Getting it there: 
  • As soon as I finish this post, I am shipping Sporicidin directly to my aunt's address. Email me if you want to do the same. You can also ship to the church's address above, and it'll get distributed as needed.
  • My mom and Gary (bonus dad :) are driving down Thursday. If you're local, email me, and I will be tickled to collect any supplies from you. I will need to get them by Wednesday.

No comments: