Saturday, December 17, 2011

Thank You, God, for Mary

In anticipation of Christmas, I'm revisiting a series of guest posts that I wrote last year for Tommy Nelson. Our family wishes yours a very blessed Christmas season . . .

Thank You, God, for Mary.
She let faith lead the way:
“I am His servant girl,” she said.
“Let it be as you say.”

Thank You, God, for Mary,
Your precious Christmas gift.

Mary is probably the second most-celebrated star of the Christmas story. And it’s no wonder.


One night an angel shows up and tells her that she’s going to have God’s Son. And Mary agrees. There are so many elements to this that blow my mind . . . and make me want to be more like Mary.


We don’t know exactly how long it took for Mary to make up her mind, but by all accounts it seems to be a done deal in that one visit from Gabriel. It's a carelessly quick decision, considering the gravity of God’s proposition to Mary, wouldn't you think? She’s young. She’s not married. And she’s engaged to Joseph.


Consider the fear of being a first-time mother. Consider the unknown with such a mysterious conception. Consider her options as an unmarried mother in her society. Consider the glares of a less-than-understanding community when she turns up pregnant by someone other than Joseph. Surely Mary’s mind flashed with these scenarios.


And maybe when Gabriel said, “Don’t fear,” he sensed this. He wasn't just talking about the present moment. He knew that her fears grew far beyond a shiny stranger invading her home.


Still, Mary does not falter. We all know the young girl's humble yet amazingly faithful response: “I’m God’s servant. I’ll do whatever He says." (See Luke 1:38.)


She didn't say, “Let me think about it,” “Let me sleep on it,” or even, “Let me pray about it.” She doesn't give excuses, and she had plenty: “I’m too young,” “I’m already engaged,” “I could never explain this to my parents.”


But Mary’s young heart is sure. She immediately recognizes the pure calling of God and. Just. Says. Yes.


How could you be more like Mary today? How would it change your life? How would it change the world?

No comments: